Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Better than restaurant Onion soup. Make the entire quantity and place in freezer in heavy duty freezer bags. When vidalias are in season, I double and triple the recipe to have the soup on hand.
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 5 lbs Vidalia onions, thinly sliced (or substitute Spanish or Hawaiian onions. Do not use red salad onions.)
- 7 teaspoons Better than Bouillon beef base or 7 cans beef broth
- 3 teaspoons Better than Bouillon chicken bouillon granules or 3 cans chicken broth
- Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups dry white wine
- French bread, slices toasted (see below)
- olive oil
- Parmesan cheese
- cheese slices (mozzarella, Swiss, or gruyère)
- Make stock by bringing 10 cups water to boil.
- Add beef and chicken bouillon pastes (or heat canned beef and chicken broth).
- Lower heat to simmer and let simmer while preparing onions.
- Melt butter slowly (so it does not brown) in large soup pot over low heat.
- Add thinly sliced onions.
- Stir, cover, and cook on low heat until lightly brown, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- Add wine, bring to boil, scraping up browned bits.
- Cook about 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add about 5 good shakes of Worcestershire sauce.
- Add stock to onions.
- Bring to boil, turn heat down to simmer and simmer uncovered about 1½ hrs.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Brush olive oil on bread slices, sprinkle with Parmesan and place in oven on cookie sheet at 375°F until lightly brown.
- Ladle soup into ovenproof bowls.
- Float bread on top of soup.
- Top with 2 or 3 cheese slices.
- Place in oven or microwave until cheese melts.