- 1/2 lb Bacon
- 10 baby carrots, chopped
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 lb split Peas, sorted and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 7 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- sour cream
- Tabasco sauce or hot sauce, of choice
- fresh chives, chopped
- In a saucepan cook the Bacon till it's done for 15 minutes
- Remove Bacon, break or chop it up coarsely
- Add the carrots, Onion, thyme, and bay leaves to the pan toss to coat with pan drippings
- Cook 5 mintues .
- Add split Peas and cooked Bacon, stir well and cook another 5 minutes.
- Add 8 cups of water and boil, then reduce heat and simmer.
- When the Peas have absorbed about half the water, add salt to taste
- Continue to simmer until the Peas are very soft and almost
- Stir and check often to ensure the bottom does not burn
- Remove bay leaves and place soup in bowls.
Garnish each with a dollop of sour cream.