- Serves 4
- 1 large Eggplant
- 4 tbl soy sauce
- 1 tbl cornstarch
- 3 tbl Sugar
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp crushed dried red pepper
- 6 slices ginger, about the size and thickness of a quarter
- 4 scallions, chopped, separate white and green parts
- Cut stem end off Eggplant. Dice Eggplant into small cubes.
- Sprinkle Eggplant with salt and place in a colander to drain. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- Squeeze as much liquid out as possible.
- In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, Sugar, vinegar and water.
- Heat 1 tbl dry sherry in a large skillet or wok. Add red peppers and stir. Add ginger, white part of scallion.
- Stir fry briefly until ginger becomes fragrant. Add the squeezed Eggplant and saute approximately 8–10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until Eggplant is thoroughly cooked.
- You shouldn't have any trouble with sticking because the Eggplant still has a bit of moisture in it but if it does, add a little bit of water or sherry.
- Add soy sauce mixture and cook over high heat until most of the liquid is evaporated and Eggplant is thoroughly coated with reduced sauce - about 5 minutes.
- Combine 2 tbl water with cornstarch.
- Add chopped green part of scallions and sherry mixed with cornstarch. Stir and cook until thick.
- Serve hot over plain rice. kwvegan vegan