Makes 36 cookies
- 3 egg whites
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp instant tea
- 2 tbsp water
- ½ cup margarine, melted
- fortunes on slips of paper
- Mix egg whites, sugar and salt thoroughly with spoon.
- Mix in remaining ingredients, except fortunes.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease baking sheet.
- Have clean white cotton gloves ready to use when folding and shaping the hot cookies.
- If gloves are not available, use two pieces of paper towelling folded to several thicknesses to protect fingers from the hot cookies.
- Also have some clean muffin tins ready to hold baked cookies while they cool.
- Shape and bake 2 cookies at a time.
- For each cookie, drop 1 teaspoon batter onto a baking sheet.
- Spread the batter with back of spoon to make a 3-inch circle.
- Bake at 350f for 3 to 5 minutes, or until edges turn light brown.
- Work very quickly.
- Remove one cookie with wide spatula to counter top.
- Place a fortune paper across center of cookie.
- Using gloves or paper towelling, fold edge of cookie over to make a semicircle.
- Hold cookie on the ends and place the middle of folded edge over top of muffin pan; bend ends down.
- Place folded cookie carefully in a muffin cup to cool.
- Repeat process.
== Nutritional information Serving of 2 cookies: 80 calories, ½ starch/bread, 1 fat exchange 2 grams protein, 6 grams fat, 6 grams carbohydrate 84 mg sodium, 0 cholesterol