- 1 round (8 to 10 inches) foccacia bread or Onion foccacia bread
- 1 cup packed, shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 1/2 Tbs. chopped fresh basil or 1 tsp. dried
- 2 red or yellow bell peppers (or one of each)
- 3 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 4 oz. goat Cheese, crumbled
Preheat broiler. Quarter bell peppers lengthwise; discard stems and seeds. Flatten with palm of hand. Place skin side up on foil-lined baking sheet. Broil 3 to 4 inches from heat until skin is evenly blackened, 8 to 12 minutes. Wrap peppers in foil from pan; let stand 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, in small bowl, mix oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper. Peel off and discard skin from peppers. Cut into uniform pieces; arrange in shallow dish. Pour dressing over peppers. Cover; chill at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
In small bowl, combine goat Cheese and basil; mix well. Drain peppers; add marinade from peppers to Cheese mixture; mix well. Using a long serrated knife, split bread in half horizontally. Spread Cheese mixture over cut sides of bread. Arrange romaine lettuce and marinated peppers over bottom half of bread; close sandwich with top of bread. Cut into wedges to serve.