Always check the ingredients to make sure the product is vegan.
- 1 frozen pie crust (most are vegan)
- ¾ cup slivered blanched almonds
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons amaretto
- 2 tablespoons (¼ stick) soy margarine
- egg replacer = 1 egg
- 4 – 5 ripe peaches
- ½ cup peach or apricot preserves
- Pre-bake pie crust according to package directions.
- Let cool slightly on a rack.
- Set over temperature to 400°F.
- Finely grind slivered almonds in processor.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon flour, sugar, 2 tablespoons amaretto and soy marg and puree.
- Add egg replacer and process until well blended.
- Pour into crust.
- Bake until filling begins to brown and is springy to touch, about 15 minutes.
- Cool on rack (can be prepared 6 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature).
- If your peaches are very ripe, you can skip this part, but if not, it helps to blanch them first to easily remove the skins.
- To do this, bring medium pot of water to boil.
- Add peaches and blanch 30 seconds.
- Transfer to bowl of cold water, using slotted spoon.
- Peel peaches.
- Cut into slices.
- Drain well.
- Combine preserves and 1 tablespoon amaretto in heavy small saucepan.
- Bring to boil, stirring to melt preserves.
- Boil until slightly thickened, about 30 seconds.
- Brush some preserves over tart filling.
- Arrange peaches atop preserves in concentric circles, overlapping slices.
- Brush with remaining preserves.
- Can be prepared 3 hours ahead.
- Store at room temperature.