Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
A Catfish recipe.
- 6 to 8 U.S. farm-raised catfish fillets
- 3 cups water
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 10 ounce package frozen, chopped spinach
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 cup grated Swiss cheese, divided
- In a large saucepan, bring the water and lemon slices to a slow simmer.
- Add the catfish fillets and poach gently for about 8 minutes.
- Remove fillets and drain well.
- Thaw and drain the spinach.
- Place it in a kitchen towel and squeeze the moisture from the spinach.
- Set aside.
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan.
- Add green onions and garlic.
- Cook briefly to soften.
- Add flour and stir constantly while the roux cooks.
- Do not brown.
- Slowly add the milk, continuing to stir until the sauce is smooth and thickened.
- Add reserved spinach, seasonings, lemon juice, and ½ cup of the cheese, mixing well (the sauce may be prepared ahead to this point and refrigerated until needed, up to 2 days).
- When you are ready to serve, place the cooked catfish fillets in a lightly buttered 9- by 3-inch baking dish or individual au gratin dishes.
- Cover with sauce and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes or until bubbly.
- Finish under the broiler to lightly toast the cheese.
- Serve immediately.