Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This whole grain bread, reminiscent of unsweetened corn bread, makes a nice breakfast bread when toasted or a snack with nut butter.
- Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Serves 8
- ½ cup flaxseed
- 1¾ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon powdered gluten-free egg replacer (such as Ener-G)
- ¼ cup warm water
- 1 cup unsweetened soy milk
- ¼ cup high oleic safflower oil or canola oil
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup (use more maple syrup for a sweeter flavor)
- ⅓ cup roasted pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray an 8-inch loaf pan with olive or canola oil spray.
- In mini-food processor or coffee grinder, process flaxseed until finely ground, about 10 to 20 seconds.
- In a large bowl, combine ground flaxseed, flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt.
- In a small bowl, combine egg replacer with warm water, stirring with a whisk.
- Stir in the soy milk, oil and maple syrup.
- Make a well in dry ingredients and add liquid ingredients.
- Stir until just combined.
- Stir in pumpkin seeds.
- Scrape batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a rack for 5 minutes then turn it out of the pan to continue cooling on the rack.
Nutritional information Edit
Per Serving (82 g-wt.):
- 240 calories (110 from fat) | 12g total fat | 1g saturated fat | 7g protein | 29g total carbohydrate (6g dietary fiber, 2g sugar) | 0mg cholesterol | 280mg sodium