This is an Easter cheesecake, a specialty from Cyprus.
- 8 oz Cheddar Cheese
- 4 oz Halloumi or mozzarella
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp crushed dried mint
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- Make the dough by sifting the flour into a large bowl. Stir in the yeast, salt and Sugar. Add the oil and enough water to make a firm dough.
- Knead for at least 5 mins. Put into a polythene bag and leave to rise in a warm place for an hour.
- Make filling. Coarsely grate the cheeses, add flour, and baking powder then gradually stir in the mint and beaten eggs until you have a stiffish paste.
- Preheat the oven to 230 °C. Divide the dough into egg size pieces and roll into 4 " discs. Put a generous tbsp of filling in the centre of each disc and spread slightly.
- Pull the dough up at 4 points to make a square. Press the corners together to seal and leave to rise.
- Just before baking, brush with the beaten egg and sprinkle some sesame seeds over. Bake for 12-15 mins until the Cheese filling has puffed up and the pastry is golden. Serve warm or cold.