- Serves 6 to 8
- 2 cups unsalted peanuts, without skins
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- ½ teaspoon five-spice powder
- Line a baking sheet with foil or wax paper, or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a small heavy saucepan, melt the butter, brown sugar and corn syrup over medium heat to dissolve the sugar.
- Stir in the five-spice powder. Bring to a boil.
- Let boil for several minutes without stirring.
- When it reaches the "soft ball" stage remove from the heat.
- Stir in the peanuts.
- Spread the mixture out on the sheet.
- Let stand until it has hardened.
- Break into pieces. Store in a sealed canister.