Hot johnnycake on the side is marvelous! This is usually served for breakfast, but is good at any time!
- 1 small whole (yellow tail, grunts, etc.) or larger fillets
- hot peppers as needed
- salt to taste
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 small piece of salt pork, diced
- 1 small piece of bacon, diced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- tomato paste as needed
- thyme to taste
- flour as needed
- 1 can whole tomatoes
- 1 potato cut in chunks
- Season whole (cleaned and scaled) or larger fillets cut in serving pieces with hot pepper mashed in salt and lime juice. Refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning fry to a crisp, golden brown. Set aside.
- Sauté diced salt pork and diced Bacon in large saucepan.
- Sauté sliced onions in drippings until brown. Reduce heat and add tomato paste, thyme, lime juice, and a small diced hot pepper. Simmer.
- Brown flour in mixture.
- Blend a can of whole tomatoes and add to sauce and simmer. It should be a thick, purée-type soup.
- Add potato chunks and ; simmer until potatoes are done.
- Serve each person a whole in lots of gravy and a few pieces of potato.