Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Fish in Banana-Leaf
- 2-3 banana leaves
- 2-4 lbs of fresh fish
- 1-2 onions, finely chopped
- juice of 1-2 lemons
- salt (to taste)
- black pepper (to taste)
- cayenne pepper or red pepper (to taste)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tomato, chopped and crushed (optional)
- a few okra, chopped (optional)
- a bunch of sorrel leaves (optional)
- one Maggi® cube (crushed)
- Prepare a marinade for the fish by mixing together the oil, chopped onion, lemon juice, salt, black pepper and red pepper.
- Clean the fish, but leave the scales on, and cut a few gashes lengthwise on each side.
- Pour the marinade onto the fish and into the gashes.
- Let marinate in a glass dish for a quarter hour.
- Warm the banana leaves for a half-minute in a hot oven, remove the center rib of each leaf by cutting across it with a knife and pulling it off.
- Cut the ends off each leaf to form a large rectangle.
- Fold the banana leaves to completely enclose the ingredients in a packet two or three layers thick.
- Cook the packets over an outdoor grill.
- Turn them every 10 minutes.
- After half an hour carefully open the packet and check to see if the fish is cooked, else continue cooking.
- Serve in the packet with boiled yams.