Fish in Banana-Leaf
- 2-3 banana leaves
- 2-4 lbs of fresh fish
- 1-2 onions, finely chopped
- juice of 1-2 lemons
- salt (to taste)
- black pepper (to taste)
- cayenne pepper or red pepper (to taste)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tomato, chopped and crushed (optional)
- a few okra, chopped (optional)
- a bunch of sorrel leaves (optional)
- one Maggi® cube (crushed)
- Prepare a marinade for the fish by mixing together the oil, chopped onion, lemon juice, salt, black pepper and red pepper.
- Clean the fish, but leave the scales on, and cut a few gashes lengthwise on each side.
- Pour the marinade onto the fish and into the gashes.
- Let marinate in a glass dish for a quarter hour.
- Warm the banana leaves for a half-minute in a hot oven, remove the center rib of each leaf by cutting across it with a knife and pulling it off.
- Cut the ends off each leaf to form a large rectangle.
- Fold the banana leaves to completely enclose the ingredients in a packet two or three layers thick.
- Cook the packets over an outdoor grill.
- Turn them every 10 minutes.
- After half an hour carefully open the packet and check to see if the fish is cooked, else continue cooking.
- Serve in the packet with boiled yams.