- 8 oz fresh or frozen skinless and boneless haddock or halibut filets
- 1 small fennel bulb
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 medium-sized zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon of grated orange peel
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped or 1 x 14 oz can of chopped tomatoes (undrained)
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme plus extra for garnish
- Thaw fish if frozen. Rinse well then pat dry with a paper towel.
- Cut into 1 inch pieces then set aside.
- Cut off upper stalks of the fennel bulb and slice off the bottom. Rinse thoroughly then cut in half.
- Thinly slice the fennel halves lengthwise.
- In a large saucepan, stir in the fennel, vegetable stock, onion, zucchini, white wine, orange peel and garlic.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the fish, tomatoes and thyme to the broth and cook for about 4 – 5 minutes or until fish becomes flaky when tested with a fork, then serve garnished with extra chopped thyme.