- Put all but ½ cup milk into a heavy pan and add salt and sugar.
- Put on to heat gently, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Blend cornflour into reserved milk with the ¼ cup water and pour into warm milk, stirring constantly.
- Add almonds and keep stirring until mixture thickens and bubbles.
- Use a whisk if mixture becomes lumpy.
- Add cardamom to taste and the pounded saffron.
- Cook on low heat for 5 minutes, letting pudding simmer very gently.
- Stir occasionally.
- Pour into 6 or 8 individual sweet dishes, spreading evenly.
- Sprinkle pistachio nuts around edge of each dish.
- To serve firnee in the traditional manner, the pudding should be poured into two plates, decorated with pistachio nuts and cut into quarters to serve in wedges.