Prep Time: 60min
Cook time: 20-30min
Serves: 8 to 10 people
Small 1½ inch tasty balls of meat
- ¾ cup milk
- 3 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 6 ounces mild and buttery Gouda-style cheese
- 1½ cups loosely packed fresh parsley, finely minced
- ¾ cup finely minced onion
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon ground white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- ½ cup flour
- ¾ cup chicken or beef broth
- ¼ cup vegetable oil, or as needed
- ½ cup heavy cream
- In a bowl, warm milk in a microwave until just steaming.
- Remove from heat and press bread into the milk; set aside.
- Grate cheese on large holes of a box grater and place in a large bowl.
- Add parsley, onion, eggs, salt, both peppers and allspice.
- Stir well to combine.
- Add ground beef, ground pork and milk-soaked bread (discard the milk).
- Knead by hand until well-blended.
- Spread flour on a plate.
- Roll meat mixture into 1½-inch balls, and roll in flour to coat.
- Place a Dutch oven over very low heat, and add broth.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering.
- Working in batches, add enough meatballs to loosely fill pan.
- Sear for about 1 minute, then shake the pan to turn meatballs.
- Continue until well-browned on all sides, adding more oil to the pan as needed.
- Transfer meatballs to Dutch oven and allow them to gently simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring carefully from time to time.
- Add cream and turn the heat off.
- Mix gently.