Buffalo wings are an American chicken recipe and the reason why they are called buffalo wings is because they were created in Buffalo, New York. A tough combination of real poultry, herbs, and spices is made with hot sauce and ketchup and fried to flaming hot perfection.
- 1 kilo chicken wings
- 1 tsp. spice rub
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ cup margarine or (1 cup butter)
- ¼ cup hot sauce
- ½ cup banana ketchup
- ½ cup cooking oil
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper, black or red only
- 5 tbsp. calamansi juice, reserving 2 tablespoons for the sauce
- cornstarch, for coating the chicken
- chopped parsley, for garnishing
- Wash the chicken wings. Drain any excess water from the washed chicken, then coat them with calamansi juice, salt, spice rub, onion powder, garlic powder, and pepper.
- Marinate for at least 1 hour for the best result.
- In a deep-frying pan, heat some cooking oil, just enough to cover the chicken wings while deep frying.
- Coat the chicken wings with cornstarch before frying. You can use a strong plastic bag then shake and coat the chicken with cornstarch. Then deep fry the chicken wings until golden brown.
- Drain the excess oil in a strainer or with a paper towel.
- In a saucepan, melt the margarine or butter and add with the hot sauce, the remaining calamansi juice, and banana ketchup. Mix very well and simmer for a few seconds.
- Add to the fried chicken wings and stir-fry until each has been well coated with the sauce. Serve hot but garnish with the chopped parsley.