Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Source: My old recipes
- Serves 4
- ¼ cup + 1 tsp butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 14 oz can Italian tomatoes
- 4 oz mushrooms, wiped clean and sliced
- 1½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ cup dry red wine
- 1 tsp sugar
- 5 cups water
- 1 lb fettuccine
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- In large deep skillet, melt 2 oz of butter over medium heat.
- When foam subsides, add onion and garlic to pan and fry, stirring occasionally 5 to 7 minutes or until onion is soft and translucent but not brown.
- Add tomatoes with the can juice, mushrooms, ½ tsp salt, the pepper, wine and sugar.
- Stir well and bring liquid to boil.
- Cover pan, reduce heat to low and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare fettuccine in large pan.
- Bring water to boil over high heat.
- Add remaining salt and fettuccine.
- Reduce heat to medium, boil for to 7 minutes or until fettuccine is al dente or just until tender.
- Remove pan from heat and drain fettuccine in colander.
- Transfer to warmed platter and stir in remaining butter.
- Pour over the sauce and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Serve at once.