By One World Recipes Feroce d'Avocat is the French name of this hot crab appetizer that is popular in Martinique. The avocado, sometimes referred to as an alligator pear, adds a rich taste.
- Heat Scale: Hot
- Yield: 4 servings
- 8 ounces fresh or canned crab meat
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 habanero chile, seeds and stem removed, minced
- 4 avocados, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1 cup manioc flour (tapioca or cassava meal)
- extra lime juice for serving
- lettuce or spinach leaves
- Drain the crab, pat it dry, and place in a bowl.
- Add the vinegar, lime juice, oil, garlic, shallots, green onions, and chile.
- Mash the avocado with manioc flour, add to the crab mixture, and blend to form a thick paste.
- Spoon onto lettuce or spinach on individual serving dishes, or roll into balls and arrange on a plate.
- Sprinkle with lime juice just before serving.