Hare soup from the north.
- 1 hare; head, neck, kidney, heart, lung and liver
- 1 parsnip
- 1 celery knob
- 1 kohlrabi
- 1 carrot
- 1 pinch caraway seeds
- 2 tbsp lard
- 1 small onions; minced
- 1 garlic cloves;
- 6 crushed black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup rice; uncooked
- Do not wash the hare parts overly try to leave some blood.
- Put all the parts except the liver in a pot with 3 quarts water and bring to a boil.
- Skim well.
- Peel vegetables except onion and dice.
- Add to pot with caraway seeds and 1 tablespoon salt.
- Keep heat very low and let soup simmer.
- Melt lard add minced onion crushed garlic and the hare liver diced.
- Sprinkle with black pepper.
- Brown onion and liver fast then dust with flour.
- Stir well and cook for a few minutes more.
- Add a ladle of broth from the soup pot.
- Stir well and pour into the soup pot.
- Put rice into the soup pot and cook till it is done.
- Adjust salt.
- Variation: add 3 tablespoons lemon juice or whip lemon juice with sour cream at last minute.