Algerian pepper confit
- 8 – 12 miniature sweet peppers
- ¼ cup of pine nuts
- 1½ cup or more of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of white vinegar
- Make an incision in the peppers and stuff with whole pine nuts. I used about 8 – 10 in each pepper. You can substitute coarsely chopped almonds or walnuts.
- Cook the peppers over very low heat in the olive oil, turning frequently.
- They will start to blister and take a light golden color.
- Very carefully transfer them to a clean glass jar and cover with the cooking oil.
- If there is not enough olive oil to cover the peppers add more oil.
- Add about 2 tablespoons of white vinegar.
- Seal the jar and let rest at room temperature for at least a day before eating.
- Sprinkle fresh chopped herbs such as flat leaf parsley or coriander leaf on top and wedges of lemon for service if desired.