Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 4 pork center loin chops; trimmed
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 large shallots; thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic; minced
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry; or cognac or brandy
- 2 pounds sauerkraut; undrained
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Sprinkle each pork chop with some sage, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Rub the seasonings into the pork chops so they will adhere.
- Set aside.
- Place a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and pour ½ cup of the chicken broth into it.
- When the broth begins to boil, add the shallots and garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add the pork chops and some broth.
- Allow the broth to almost evaporate and brown the chops on one side, 4 to 5minutes.
- Add ½ cup more broth to the skillet and turn the chops.
- Allow the broth to almost evaporate as the chops brown on the other side, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove the chops from the skillet and add the remaining broth and sherry.
- Stir and scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the skillet.
- Allow the liquid to reduce until slightly thickened.
- Remove the skillet from the heat.
- Place half of the sauerkraut in the bottom of a casserole dish large enough to hold the chops.
- Sprinkle the sauerkraut with ½ teaspoon of the caraway seeds.
- Place the browned chops on top of the sauerkraut and pour the reduced skillet liquid over each of the chops.
- Distribute the remaining sauerkraut evenly over the chops and sprinkle with remaining ½ teaspoon caraway seeds over all.
- Cover the casserole and place it in the oven.
- Bake for 1½ hours or until the pork is very tender.
- Remove the casserole from the oven.
- Remove the cover carefully since steam will billow out.
- Serve each chop with some sauerkraut.
- Drizzle some of the liquid from the casserole over each.