Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: The Mayo Clinic
- Serves 4
- 2 lb fava (broad) beans, shelled (about 2 cups)
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup minced yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup vegetable stock, chicken stock or broth
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp chopped fresh flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
- Bring a large saucepan ¾ full of water to a boil.
- Add the fava beans and ¼ teaspoon of the salt and cook for 2 minutes.
- Drain and rinse immediately with cold water to stop the cooking.
- To remove the skins, pinch each bean on the side opposite where it was attached to the pod; the bean should slip easily from the skin.
- Remove and discard the outer skins.
- Set the beans aside.
- In a large saucepan with a tight-fitting lid, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and saute until soft and lightly golden, about 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds; don't let the garlic brown.
- Add the fava beans and stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer, shaking the pan gently from time to time, until the beans are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Season with the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and the pepper.
- Sprinkle with the parsley and serve immediately.
Dietitian's tip: Once removed from the pods, fava beans are blanched to remove their thin but tough outer skins. This simple recipe lets their flavor shine. High fiber = at least 5 g of fiber per serving Healthy carb = whole fruits & vegetables, at least 50% whole grains and no more than 1 tsp of sugar per serving
Nutritional information Edit
- 130 Calories | 3g Monounsaturated fat | 7g Protein | 0mg Cholesterol | 18g Carbs | 5g Fiber | 293mg Sodium | 4g Total fat | <1g Saturated fat
- Mayo Clinic Healthy Weight Pyramid Servings: 1 Protein and dairy | 1 Fats
- Diabetes Meal Plan Exchanges: 1 Starches | 1 Meat and meat substitutes | 1 Fats
- Dash Eating Plan Servings: 1 Nuts, seeds and dry beans | 1 Fats and oils