Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Fava Bean and Red Onion Salad from the Public Health Cookbook by the Seattle & King County Department of Public Health—original source of recipe, public domain government resource
- Serves: 4
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 12 oz. fava beans in pods
- ⅔ cup plain low fat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon fresh mint, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- ½ cucumber, peeled and sliced
- To reduce pungency of onions, rinse slices briefly under running cold water and drain well.
- Shell the favas and discard the pods.
- In a medium saucepan, bring 2 quarts water to a boil and boil fava beans for 8 minutes or until tender.
- Drain beans and rinse under cold water. Pierce the favas and squeeze them out of their outer white skins.
- In a small bowl, combine yogurt, mint, garlic and cucumber. Add beans and onion and toss until well-coated then serve.