Fava Bean and Red Onion Salad from the Public Health Cookbook by the Seattle & King County Department of Public Health—original source of recipe, public domain government resource
- Serves: 4
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 12 oz. fava beans in pods
- ⅔ cup plain low fat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon fresh mint, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- ½ cucumber, peeled and sliced
- To reduce pungency of onions, rinse slices briefly under running cold water and drain well.
- Shell the favas and discard the pods.
- In a medium saucepan, bring 2 quarts water to a boil and boil fava beans for 8 minutes or until tender.
- Drain beans and rinse under cold water. Pierce the favas and squeeze them out of their outer white skins.
- In a small bowl, combine yogurt, mint, garlic and cucumber. Add beans and onion and toss until well-coated then serve.