Contributed by Gaye Levy
- 1 onion, medium, chopped
- 1 carrot, large, chopped
- 4 cup chicken broth, regular strength
- 1 can tomato purée, 15 oz
- 3 tbsp basil leaves, dried
- ¾ tsp sugar
- ½ tsp white pepper
- 2 tsp vegetable oil, optional
- Spray the bottom of a 3 to 4 quart pan with PAM, or optionally, coat with oil.
- Add the onion and carrot and cook, stirring occasionally, until both the onion and the carrot are sweet tasting and tender when pierced.
- This will take about 30 minutes.
- Stir broth, tomato purée, basil sugar and pepper into pan.
- Bring to a boil on high heat.
- Cover and simmer to blend flavors, about 15 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, scoop vegetables and a little of the broth into a food processor or blender.
- Whirl until smoothly puréed.
- Pour vegetable mixture back into the pan; heat until steaming.
- Ladle into bowls and enjoy.