- 2 large pita breads
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground sumac
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped parsley
- 4 scallions, sliced, white parts only
- 1/2 cup chopped or torn fresh mint
- 2 cucumbers, peeled and chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 green pepper, diced, optional
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. Place bread on cookie sheet, and bake about 15 minutes, or until golden and crisp. Remove bread from oven, and set aside to cool. When cool enough to handle, break into 1/2-inch pieces.
3. Mix together salt, pepper, lemon juice, olive oil and 1 teaspoon sumac. Toss lettuce, parsley, scallions, mint, cucumbers, tomatoes and green pepper, if using, in separate bowl. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 teaspoon sumac over salad, add toasted pita pieces and dress salad, tossing to coat well. Serve immediately.