Lebanese bread salad
Fattoush - Lebanese Bread Salad from the Public Health Cookbook by the Seattle & King County Department of Public Health—original source of recipe, public domain government resource
- Serves: 4
- non-fat cooking spray
- 2 whole wheat pita bread rounds (6 – 7" in diameter)
- ½ head romaine lettuce, shredded
- 1 large cucumber, cubed
- 15 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, minced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Cut the pita bread in half then separate the layers. Lightly spray with nonfat cooking spray then place on a baking sheet and bake for about 7 – 8 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven then break the bread into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all dressing ingredients and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add the romaine, cucumber, tomatoes, parsley, and mint. Lightly toss to combine. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss until well-coated. Add the bread pieces and toss until combined then serve.