- 5 cups all purpose (plain) flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1½ cups of water
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 48 oz fresh spinach
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 3 large onions, finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 pinch of ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp ground sumac (optional)
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp pomegranate thickened juice (optional)
- Prepare Lebanese Basic Dough.
- Leave aside and cover for an hour to rise.
- Make sure dough doubles in volume.
- Remove roots and yellow leaves from spinach.
- Chop finely then wash well and drain, rub with ½ tsp salt.
- Drain spinach again with your hands to dry.
- Mash the onions with remaining salt.
- Add pepper and sumac.
- Add spinach to onion, then mix in oil and pomegranate.
- Put aside.
- Roll out dough using a rolling pin till dough is as thin as possible (5 mm).
- Invert a tea cup on dough and press to have equal circles.
- Place a tbsp of spinach filling on each piece.
- Bring up sides at 3 points to form a triangular shape.
- Press edges firmly with fingertips to seal completely (put flour on finger tips to help seal).
- Place pies on oiled baking sheets.
- Bake in a moderately hot oven (400 °F) for 30 minutes.