Haricot beans in tomato
- 300 g haricot beans, soaked overnight
- 125 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic (optional)
- 1 large carrot, chopped.
- 2 stalks celery including the leaves, chopped
- 2 ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 1 ltr water
- 4 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan sauté the onion, garlic, carrot, and celery in oil until soft and translucent.
- Add the tomato puree and the water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Drain the beans and add them to the pan.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for about 1 hour, or until beans are tender.
- Add the parsley 15 minutes before removing from the heat.