Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- Makes 6 servings
- olive oil cooking spray
- 1 small, about 4 ounces (120 g), russet or all-purpose potato
- 1 cup (114 g) shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1 pound (480 g) extra-lean ground sirloin
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 x 14½-ounce (435 g) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, or to taste
- 2 cups (140 g) shredded green cabbage
- salt (optional)
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 to 3 tablespoons purchased taco sauce
- 6 slices pickled jalapeño chile peppers (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C or gas mark 5).
- Lightly coat a 2-quart (2 l) casserole with cooking spray.
- Peel and grate the potato into a bowl.
- Stir in ¼ cup (29 g) of the cheese.
- Spread evenly over the bottom of the prepared casserole.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until potato is browned and crispy.
- Meanwhile, brown ground sirloin, onion, and garlic in a large nonstick skillet, breaking up the beef with a wooden spoon as it browns.
- Discard any excess fat.
- Stir in tomatoes with their juice, chili powder, and the cabbage.
- Season with pepper to taste.
- Sauté, stirring, for a minute or two.
- If mixture seems too dry, add 1 tablespoon of the bottled taco sauce, adding up to 2 tablespoons more, if needed, if mixture seems too dry.
- When potatoes are done, spoon beef mixture on top of potatoes.
- Top with remaining cheese and jalapeño slices (if using).
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until casserole is hot and bubbly.
- Serve at once.
Nutritional information Edit
- 235 calories (40% calories from fat) | 24 g protein | 11 g total fat (4.8 g saturated fat) | 12 g carbohydrates | 2 g dietary fiber | 38 mg cholesterol | 471 mg potassium | 357 mg sodium
- Diabetic exchanges: 3 lean protein | 1 carbohydrate (½ bread/starch, 1½ vegetable)