Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes
- Yield: 6 Servings
- ¾ cup uncooked brown rice
- 6 skinless chicken breasts, or 6 skinless chicken thighs and drumsticks (about 2 lb)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ¾ cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp canola or corn oil
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1½ tsp fresh thyme, or ½ tsp dried thyme
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 x 14-15oz can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp dried currants
- 2 tbsp slivered almonds
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Prepare a shallow baking pan with non-stick pan spray.
- Add the rice to 3 cups boiling water in a medium saucepan; cover and simmer 50 to 60 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, put the chicken in the prepared pan.
- Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, saute the onion, pepper, and garlic in the oil in a large skillet for 5 minutes, until tender; add the curry powder, thyme, and salt and blend thoroughly.
- Add the tomatoes with their liquid, and the parsley; heat to a simmer.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and sprinkle with the currants.
- Cover and bake at 350°F for 25 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, toast the almonds in a small skillet over medium heat for 3 minutes, or until lightly browned and fragrant.
- To serve, arrange the chicken parts next to ½ cup rice on individual plates.
- Divide the sauce over the rice.
- Sprinkle the almonds over the chicken.
Nutritional information Edit
Per Serving (1 breast half, or 1 drumstick and thigh, plus ½ cup rice and ½ cup sauce):
- 304 Calories | 8g Fat | 73mg Cholesterol | 496mg Sodium | 28g Carbs | 3g Dietary Fiber | 7g Sugars | 30g Protein
- Diabetic Exchanges: 1½ starch/bread | 1 vegetable | 4 very lean meat | ½ fat