Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes
- Yield: 6 Servings
- ¾ cup uncooked brown rice
- 6 skinless chicken breasts, or 6 skinless chicken thighs and drumsticks (about 2 lb)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ¾ cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp canola or corn oil
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1½ tsp fresh thyme, or ½ tsp dried thyme
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 x 14-15oz can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp dried currants
- 2 tbsp slivered almonds
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Prepare a shallow baking pan with non-stick pan spray.
- Add the rice to 3 cups boiling water in a medium saucepan; cover and simmer 50 to 60 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, put the chicken in the prepared pan.
- Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, saute the onion, pepper, and garlic in the oil in a large skillet for 5 minutes, until tender; add the curry powder, thyme, and salt and blend thoroughly.
- Add the tomatoes with their liquid, and the parsley; heat to a simmer.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and sprinkle with the currants.
- Cover and bake at 350°F for 25 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, toast the almonds in a small skillet over medium heat for 3 minutes, or until lightly browned and fragrant.
- To serve, arrange the chicken parts next to ½ cup rice on individual plates.
- Divide the sauce over the rice.
- Sprinkle the almonds over the chicken.
Nutritional information Edit
Per Serving (1 breast half, or 1 drumstick and thigh, plus ½ cup rice and ½ cup sauce):
- 304 Calories | 8g Fat | 73mg Cholesterol | 496mg Sodium | 28g Carbs | 3g Dietary Fiber | 7g Sugars | 30g Protein
- Diabetic Exchanges: 1½ starch/bread | 1 vegetable | 4 very lean meat | ½ fat