Makes 6 servings.
- 1 medium pumpkin (large enough to hold 6 cups mixture)
- 1 cup chopped Onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 pound tofu, crumbled
- 1 tart red cooking Apple, cored and chopped
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cut off top of pumpkin; remove seeds and fibers. Set aside. Cook Onion and celery in margarine in large skillet until soft but not brown. Set aside.
- Add rice, tofu, Apple, Sugar, salt, fennel, allspice, cinnamon and pepper; spoon into pumpkin shell. Place on baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours, or until pulp inside pumpkin is tender.
- Spoon rice mixture from pumpkin. Scoop out cooked pumpkin; season with margarine, salt and pepper, if desired. Serve with rice mixture.