- 1 lb bag of garbanzos* (Goya brand is what I use)
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled
- 1 medium Onion, peeled
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1-2 tablespoon curry powder
- 1-2 tablespoon chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 tablespoon of flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- Soak the garbanzos overnight in water (at least 12 hours, I usually wait 24). When ready to prepare, drain them and put them through a food grinder with the Onion, Potato and garlic. Add the seasoning and flour, mix and let sit for about 2-3 hours.
- When you are ready to deep fry, add the baking soda and mix again. Heat about 2-3 inches of canola oil in a deep, heavy frying pan to just below smoke point. Form mixture into patties about the size of a golf ball, flatten slightly, and place in the oil for about 2 minutes, turning a couple of times. Remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper.
- Serve on warm pita with whatever you like on your falafel.