- 1 lb. dried kidney beans
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 or 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup minced parsley
- 1 tsp. hot sauce
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 or 4 cups of hot cooked rice
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions as garnish
1. Soak dried beans in water to cover overnight. Drain beans.
2. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Sauté onions, celery, bell pepper and garlic for 7 to 10 minutes, or until soft. Add drained beans. Add enough water to cover beans, and bring to a boil. Add bay leaves.
3. Reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally, about 2 hours. Add extra water if needed; don’t let beans dry out. Mash about half of beans against side of pot with spoon; leave remainder whole. Remove and discard bay leaves.