Purchased from the Bivins Estate in Dallas, Texas in 1990. Dated 1942.
- Contributed by Cat's Recipes Y-Group
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 squares unsweetened chocolate
- 2 tablespoons white corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- In saucepan combine sugar, milk, salt, chocolate, corn syrup; stir over low heat until sugar dissolves.
- Cook gently, stirring occasionally until a little mixture dropped into cold water forms soft ball.
- Remove from heat and drop in butter.
- Do not stir.
- Cool without stirring.
- Add vanilla.
- With spoon, beat until candy loses gloss and small amount dropped from spoon holds its shape.
- Add nuts.
- Turn into greased loaf pan.
- Cool and cut into squares.