Seafood, plantains, and black-eyed peas.
- Yield: 6 servings.
- 2 cups dried black-eyed peas
- 4 cups boiling water
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1½ - 3 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 x 7-ounce can of tuna or 2 x 4½-ounce cans of shrimp
- 3 large plantains or bananas, cut in ¼-inch slices
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup oil for frying
- Wash peas in cold running water. Cover with boiling water; boil 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and soak 1 to 2 hours; simmer in the same water until tender, about 2 hours.
- Add onion, tomato, and pepper to peas; cook for 15 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, oil, and fish to peas; cover and simmer for 10 minutes without stirring.
- Remove cover; stir and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle plantains or bananas with salt; deep-fat fry in oil until golden brown.
- Drain on absorbent paper.
- Serve black-eyed peas (ewa) with plantains (dodo).