Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Seafood, plantains, and black-eyed peas.
- Yield: 6 servings.
- 2 cups dried black-eyed peas
- 4 cups boiling water
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1½ - 3 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 x 7-ounce can of tuna or 2 x 4½-ounce cans of shrimp
- 3 large plantains or bananas, cut in ¼-inch slices
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup oil for frying
- Wash peas in cold running water. Cover with boiling water; boil 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and soak 1 to 2 hours; simmer in the same water until tender, about 2 hours.
- Add onion, tomato, and pepper to peas; cook for 15 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, oil, and fish to peas; cover and simmer for 10 minutes without stirring.
- Remove cover; stir and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle plantains or bananas with salt; deep-fat fry in oil until golden brown.
- Drain on absorbent paper.
- Serve black-eyed peas (ewa) with plantains (dodo).