Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour (plus overnight to dry out the meringues)
Strawberries and cream with meringue for long summer dreaming days.
- 6 oz / 175 g caster sugar
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 lb / 450 g fresh strawberries, hulled
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 pint / 570 ml double cream
- Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Add the sugar a tablespoon at a time until thoroughly whisked in. Take rounded dessertspoonfuls of the mixture and place in rows on a lined baking tray. Place in the oven at 275 °F/140 °C for an hour. After that, turn the oven off and leave the meringues in the oven to dry out overnight, or until the oven is completely cold.
- When you're ready to go, chop half the strawberries and place in a blender with the icing sugar. Whiz to a purée and pass through a sieve to remove the seeds. Chop up the rest of the strawberries and whip up the cream to the floppy stage.
- Break up the meringues, place in a bowl with the chopped strawberries and fold in the cream and the purée.