Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour (plus overnight to dry out the meringues)
Strawberries and cream with meringue for long summer dreaming days.
- 6 oz / 175 g caster sugar
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 lb / 450 g fresh strawberries, hulled
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 pint / 570 ml double cream
- Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Add the sugar a tablespoon at a time until thoroughly whisked in. Take rounded dessertspoonfuls of the mixture and place in rows on a lined baking tray. Place in the oven at 275 °F/140 °C for an hour. After that, turn the oven off and leave the meringues in the oven to dry out overnight, or until the oven is completely cold.
- When you're ready to go, chop half the strawberries and place in a blender with the icing sugar. Whiz to a purée and pass through a sieve to remove the seeds. Chop up the rest of the strawberries and whip up the cream to the floppy stage.
- Break up the meringues, place in a bowl with the chopped strawberries and fold in the cream and the purée.