Served as a snack with beer, these very tasty, crisp, tiny fish are the Estonian equivalent of popcorn. They are sprinkles with vinegar and consumed with great delight. Don't use frozen smelts for this dish.
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup rye flour
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt (or according to taste)
- 1 cup vegetable oil (for frying)
- 2 pounds fresh smelts (cleaned, rinsed, and patted dry, apple cider vinegar or lemon juice)
2. Heat the oil in a large heavy pan over medium heat until very hot but not smoking.
3. Roll the smelts in the flour mixture, and fry, a few at a time until crisp and golden, about 1 minute on each side. Drain on paper towels.
Serving: Serve with vinegar. Serving will be enough for 4 to 6 as a snack.