Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This zesty fish salad makes a lovely luncheon entree. You can also try making it with Haddock or Halibut. Both the Slavs and the Balts have a weakness for poached fish dressed in a creamy horseradish sauce
- 2 pounds cod fillets (cut into 2-inch pieces)
- salt (according to taste)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup prepared horseradish
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise, preferably Hellmann's
- pinch of sugar
- ¼ cup very finely chopped onion
- 2 medium-size Kirby cucumbers (peeled and cut into small dice)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 head Boston lettuce, leaves separated, rinsed, and patted dry
- Place the cod fillets in a shallow enameled pan, add enough water to cover, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add ½ teaspoon salt, reduce the heat to low, and simmer the fish until it just begins to flake, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Drain the fish thoroughly and place it in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle lemon juice on it.
- In a small bowl, combine the horseradish, sour cream, mayonnaise, sugar, onion, cucumbers, and dill.
- Mix thoroughly and season with salt and pepper.
- Toss the fish gently but thoroughly with this mixture, cover, and refrigerate for 45 minutes.
- Arrange on a bottom layer of lettuce in a serving dish and serve fish salad over it.