Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Make sure it's thoroughly chilled before serving and follow it with the Estonian Cod Salad with Horseradish Sauce for a hot weather luncheon. Serve garnished with dill. Serving will be enough for 4 to 6.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 7 medium-size firm Kirby cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and grated
- 1 cup chopped fresh dill
- 3 cups chicken stock or canned broth
- salt (to taste)
- freshly ground white pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 large egg yolks
- ¼ cup dry sherry
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and fry it until softened but not colored, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cucumbers and 1 cup dill, and leave it until the cucumber has softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Gradually stir in the stock.
- Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to low.
- Add salt and pepper and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Puree the soup in a food processor until smooth.
- Return to the pot and simmer for 2 minutes, then remove from the heat.
- In a bowl, whisk the sour cream with the egg yolks until blended.
- Stir in 1 cup of hot soup, then whisk the mixture back into the pot, stirring vigorously until smooth.
- Now add the lemon juice; then add more salt or freshly ground white pepper, if you wish.
- Cool and refrigerate the soup for at least 4 hours.
- Stir the soup before serving.