Make sure it's thoroughly chilled before serving and follow it with the Estonian Cod Salad with Horseradish Sauce for a hot weather luncheon. Serve garnished with dill. Serving will be enough for 4 to 6.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 7 medium-size firm Kirby cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and grated
- 1 cup chopped fresh dill
- 3 cups chicken stock or canned broth
- salt (to taste)
- freshly ground white pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 large egg yolks
- ¼ cup dry sherry
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and fry it until softened but not colored, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cucumbers and 1 cup dill, and leave it until the cucumber has softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Gradually stir in the stock.
- Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to low.
- Add salt and pepper and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Puree the soup in a food processor until smooth.
- Return to the pot and simmer for 2 minutes, then remove from the heat.
- In a bowl, whisk the sour cream with the egg yolks until blended.
- Stir in 1 cup of hot soup, then whisk the mixture back into the pot, stirring vigorously until smooth.
- Now add the lemon juice; then add more salt or freshly ground white pepper, if you wish.
- Cool and refrigerate the soup for at least 4 hours.
- Stir the soup before serving.