Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This recipe is for 1 servings
- 1½ cups white vinegar
- ¾ cup water
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 4 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 swordfish or shark steaks, rinsed and dried (5 to 6 ounces each)
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- all-purpose flour for dredging
- about ½ cup of vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 serrano or jalapeño chile, halved and seeded
- Bring the vinegar, water, peppercorns, bay leaves, and salt to a boil in a non-aluminum saucepan.
- Let cool.
- Season the fish steaks with salt and pepper, and dredge in the flour, shaking off the excess.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the fish, and fry until brown on both sides, turning once, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Arrange half of the sliced vegetables in a shallow earthenware dish.
- Place the fish fillets on top, and cover with the remaining vegetables.
- Pour the pickling liquid over the fish; cover the dish, and refrigerate overnight or up to 24 hours.