- 2 cups dried lentils; picked over and washed
- 6 cups water
- ¾ cup Anaheim green peppers;-seeded and chopped
- 2 cups red onions; peeled, chopped
- ¼ cup spiced butter
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic; peeled, crushed
- 1 tbsp berbere sauce
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Boil the lentils in water for 5 minutes.
- Drain, reserving liquid.
- In 4 quart sauce pot, sauté the Anaheim peppers and onions in the spiced butter until the onions are tender.
- Add the lentils, 4 cups of the reserved liquid, and the remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer.
- Cook, covered, over low heat 35 – 40 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.