Orange salad. Comment from Sally: pico de gallo (pee-coh day guy-yoh) translates as the bite of the rooster. I assume that is because the salsa (which merely means "sauce") called pico de gallo is quite fiery and has a fierce bite to it. Having never been bitten by a rooster, however, i can only offer this as conjecture. (grin).
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup peeled, julienne-cut jícama
- 5 cup loosely packed torn romaine or red-tip lettuce leaves
- 2 cup peeled, sliced navel oranges
- ¼ cup walnut or almond roughly chopped, (optional)
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1½ tbsp honey
- ½ tbsp cumin
- ½ tbsp red chile powder
- ½ tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp finely mined cilantro
- Whisk together all dressing ingredients - drizzle half the dressing over the onions and jícama, refrigerate for at least an hour - just before serving, remove onions and jícama from marinade and toss with the lettuce.
- Arrange oranges on top and drizzle the remaining dressing over the salad.
- (Optional) sprinkle the nuts on top.