Delicious, crunchy conserve.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Makes 12 half-pints
- Peel and thinly slice the cucumbers, cover with sugar and let stand for 24 hours.
- Strain the cucumber juice and sugar into a preserving kettle, reserving the cucumber slices, and simmer the juice gently until the sugar dissolves.
- Tie the ginger into a cheesecloth bag and bruise it with a hammer.
- Add the bag to the syrup and boil for 45 minutes.
- Add the cucumber slices and boil for ten minutes.
- Leave mixture in the preserving kettle and let it stand, covered, for 12 hours.
- Boil the mixture hard for 15 minutes; remove and discard the ginger.
- Ladle the conserve into hot, sterilized jars and seal immediately.
You may want add 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes to the ginger in the bag for a little extra kick.