Got a hot pudding mold used for desserts? This divine bread dish is made with real raisins, cream, and eggs, and is instantly exceptional for breakfast or dessert, as it always keeps a bold and creamy taste with bread and butter.
- 1 cup soft butter
- 8 to 9 slices of bread, with crusts removed
- 1 ½ cup raisins, well soaked in sherry for at least 30 minutes
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup sugar, white only
- pinch of salt
- 1 quart half and half
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Butter a 2 ½-quart pudding or soufflé dish.
- Butter the bread slices well and arrange, buttered side down, in layers; sprinkle each layer with some of the raisins.
- Lightly beat eggs; then add sugar, salt, half and half, and vanilla. Pour through the strainer over the bread and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake in a 350° F oven for about 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue baking at the same temperature until pudding is lightly browned and just set, about 30 to 35 minutes. Serve warm or cold, as preferred, with cream.