Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- 1 pound flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ lb + 2 tbsp butter, chilled and cut into small cubes
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 scant cup ice water
- 1 medium white onion, small dice
- 1 bunch spinach, chiffonade
- 3 cups coarsely grated manchego cheese
- 1 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1 cup dark raisins
- egg wash (1 egg beaten with 2 tablespoons water)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt then cut in the chilled butter until the mixture resembles a coarse meal.
- Add the egg and wine vinegar.
- Slowly add the water, as needed, mixing to form the dough, until well blended.
- Turn the dough out onto a sheet of plastic wrap and knead gently until the dough becomes smooth, only a few seconds.
- Wrap well and chill for 30 minutes.
- Sauté the onion in butter and add spinach over medium heat.
- Cool and then combine with cheese, hazelnuts, and raisins.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll half the chilled dough to ⅛ inch thick (keep the other half refrigerated until ready to use).
- Cut out 3-inch circles.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the filling into the center of each circle.
- Brush egg wash around the edges of the dough.
- Fold the edges up forming a pouch, and seal.
- Refrigerate the empanadas on greased or parchment lined baking sheets at least 30 minutes.
- Brush the empanadas with egg wash and bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes.