Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Serves: Makes approximately 10 six-inch empanadas
- 3 cups flour (plus a little more for kneading)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cold water
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- In a bowl, beat the water, egg, egg white and vinegar together.
- Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the 3 cups of flour and salt.
- Cut the shortening into the flour mix with a pastry blender or two butter knives.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mix and pour the liquid ingredients from the first bowl into the center.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients with a fork until it becomes stiff.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead it just until all the flour is incorporated and the dough is smooth.
- Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, but never more than 24 hours.
If you want to keep the dough longer than 24 hours, you can freeze it.