Serves 6 warm or cold.
- 250 g (9 oz.) wholeweat or whole meal pastry
- (made with 150g (6 oz) wholewheat or wholemeal flour, 40 g (1 1/2 oz) each
- of butter and lard with a little cold water)
- 40 g (1 1/2 oz) butter
- 150g (6 oz) onions, roughly chopped
- 12 fresh sage leaves, chopped, (or 1 tablespoon dried sage)
- 2 handfuls fresh parsley, chopped roughly
- 75 g (3 oz) well flavoured Cheese, grated
- 3 eggs
- salt, pepper, 1/2 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, ginger
- 180 mL (6 fl. oz, 3/4 c.) milk
- 40 g ( 1 1/2 oz) Raisins (optional)
- Make the pastry and line an 18–20 cm (7-8") flan case; bake it blind.
- Melt the butter in a pan and gently cook the onions with the sage and Parsley until they are just soft.
- Add the Cheese, eggs, seasoning and milk and mix well.
- Add the Raisins if you are using them and pour the mixture into the flan case.
- Bake in a moderate oven (180 C / 350 F / Gas Mark 4) for approx. 20 minutes or till the tart is risen, firm and lightly browned.