Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Description Mom used to speak of her grandmothers Prune Kolaches Edit
This is a traditional Bohemian pastry recipe handed down from my wife's much beloved Bohemian grandmother who took joy in watching her family eat. It seems like it isn't a real family get-together without kolaches and it also seems like there are never enough made. If you don't like prunes, any fruit filling will work very, very well.
- ½ cup water
- 1½ cups milk, scalded
- 2 packages yeast
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 5 cups flour
- 1 package prunes
Prune topping Edit
- Cook prunes in water until soft.
- Beat until well mashed.
- Add sugar and cinnamon to taste.
- Set aside and allow to cool.
- Put yeast in ½ cup warm water with 1 tsp sugar.
- Scald 1½ cup milk.
- Add ½ cup sugar, ½ cup butter, and 2 tsp salt to scalded milk in large bowl beat in 2 cups flour.
- Add beaten egg yolks and remaining 3 cups flour.
- Put on flat surface and knead.
- Put in greased, large bowl and let rise until doubled in size.
- Make into large walnut-size balls and place on greased cookie sheet.
- Dip finger in melted butter and make a 'well' in top surface of the balls.
- Fill with prune filling and let set for approx 10 minutes.
- Bake in 375°F degree oven for approx 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and brush bread surface with more butter.
- Optional: sprinkle top with coconut.