Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- ½ pound of biltong, or dried or smoked meat like beef jerky (the original recipe mentions elephant meat coated with salt and honey and dried in the sun)
- 6 to 8 cups of beef broth or beef stock
- 1 cup of mirepoix (diced carrots, onions, celery and herbs sautéed in butter — optional)
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup shelled, roasted peanuts (or ½ cup peanut butter)
- 1 cup boiled chana dal (or any lentils or dried peas)
- 1 small leek, finely chopped
- 1 cup of wumubu mushrooms (or any kind of mushrooms), (the original recipe says that wumubu are "a type of black African mushroom")
- two tablespoons of butter
- salt, black pepper (to taste)
- ½ cup cream
- Wash the biltong or dried meat in hot water, and cut it into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, combine the meat with enough cold water to cover it, and cook over a low heat for twenty to thirty minutes.
- Add the mirepoix and beef broth and simmer for two hours.
- Add the onions, peanuts, and dal (lentils), mushrooms, and leek.
- Cook until the dal are completely disintegrated.
- Adjust the seasoning.
- Add the butter and cream.