Elephant ears. (There are many variations.)
- Makes 4 elephant ears.
- 1 bottle "Gold Medal" brand Zambian beer
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup milk
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Heat the oven to 425°F.
- Grease a cookie sheet with shortening.
- Heat butter until melted; set aside.
- Stir flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, the baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Stir in milk and 3 tablespoons of the melted butter until dough forms.
- Sprinkle a surface lightly with flour; turn dough onto surface.
- Knead 10 times.
- Roll dough with a rolling pin or pat with hands into a rectangle, 9"x5".
- Brush with remaining melted butter, using a pastry brush; sprinkle with mixture of 3 tablespoons sugar and the cinnamon.
- Roll dough up tightly, beginning at narrow end.
- Pinch edge of dough into roll to seal.
- Cut into 4 equal pieces with sharp knife.
- Place cut sides up on cookie sheet; pat each into a 6" circle.
- Sprinkle with more sugar.
- Bake until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Immediately remove from cookie sheet with a spatula.
- Let cool on wire rack.